What is Physie?
Physie: A Fusion of Dance and Sport
Fun, upbeat, pop music is the soundtrack to a sport that fuses dance styles such as jazz, ballet, hip hop, contemporary, aerobic dance, and even yoga! Our innovative choreography changes annually and is designed for maximum variety and fun.
Physie (also known as Physical Culture) is the perfect combination of movements designed to increase strength, fitness, and flexibility. The benefits for your daughter are increased co-ordination, brain development, and confidence.
Physie is a synchronised, team-based sport that’s social and fun and an excellent low impact dance and aerobic activity.
Grandmothers, mothers, daughters, and granddaughters can all be members of the same Physie club and share their involvement in this unique sport. From ages 3 to 73, Physie is a sport for life. Our clubs cater to all ages and abilities so Physie is an experience you can share right throughout your life.
Components of Physie
The BjP Syllabus consists of six routines all targeted at developing various skills while also developing overall fitness, strength, and flexibility. The choreography is designed to also teach the relationship of music to movement, rhythm, co-ordination, balance, and musical interpretation. Each age group has it’s own syllabus and music that consist of the following routines:
- Marching – Targets posture, toe point, strength in the legs and middle to upper body. While marching may look easy to spectators, it is a skill that when done properly, will work every muscle in your body!
- Warm-Up – The warm up is a cardiac workout that targets correct positions, strength, and control in movement while really getting the heart pumping.
- Exercises – Exercises is a routine that requires strong, exact positions to demonstrate stamina and flexibility. This routine targets positions, posture, flexibility, and controlled movement.
- Breathing & Relaxed – The breathing and relaxed is aimed at controlled breathing and balance. It is a very pretty exercise involving basic classical ballet moves. It targets positions, grace, and turn out of feet and knees.
- Floor Drill – This exercise is done down on the floor and targets flexibility, strength, positions, and control of the body.
- Dance – The dance is a very modern jazz style dance that everyone loves to learn. It is often done to great funky music that really gets your hips wiggling. The dance targets stamina, strength, and presentation. A big smile is a very important ingredient to a great dance.
With a new syllabus being written every year for each age group, all girls whether new to physie or a physie veteran start on equal footing. Physie has benefits to students by improving memory sequencing and motor coordination.